Yes it’s possible to have a party, stick to a healthy diet, and enjoy the food you’re eating all at the same time! Typical party snacks are big on salty, fatty, sugary tastes, but nutrient dismal which leads to inflammation in the body, especially when paired with a drink or two. Here are some healthy snacks to avoid the food hangover!
Healthy Party Snacks
- Veggie Chili – As long as you don’t label a dish “vegetarian” you won’t scare the meat lovers away. A crock pot full of hearty chili will make party goers scoop first and ask questions later. They will be halfway through the bowl before they realize there’s no fatty ground beef clogging their arteries. Try this Three-Bean Chili from the Smitten Kitchen food blog to win over even the pickiest meat eater.
- Nachos – Good news: nachos can be healthy! Get yourself some low sodium, organic tortilla chips, sprinkle them lightly with cheese, and then load on the veggies and beans. Bake until crispy and serve for an easy, but colorfully attractive dish. Easy and no one notices there is slightly less cheese than normal. For topping ideas, try these Loaded Nachos.
- Fries – Finger food is a crowd pleaser and no one expects fries to be healthy, so you will avoid the stigma people associate with healthy food. Preparing a triple batch of these Sweet and Spicy Sweet Potato Fries in advance will make it easy to throw them in the oven for crispy warm snacks throughout the party.
- Party Snacks Mix – This has endless possibilities, just create a big bowl that offers sweet, salty, spicy, or a combination of all. In a big bowl make your own combination of mixed raw nuts, unsweetened dried fruits, gluten-free whole grain pretzels, and popcorn. Mix in your own blend of seasonings and herbs while sprinkling on a little sea salt and maybe throwing in a handful of dark chocolate chips. Just like that, you’ve got yourself a nutritious and delicious party mix.
- Brownies – Keep dessert simple. Cookies are too easy to reach for throughout the night, but brownies are rich and satisfying, fulfilling that dessert craving with one serving. The richer the chocolate, the easier to lighten the brownie up elsewhere to avoid the usual calorie dense square. Try these super simple 3-Ingredient Flourless Brownies from The Big Man’s World blog for a fudgy guilt-free treat your guests won’t even suspect.
In this day and age, we all know what’s bad for us and what’s good, although we often let food traditions dictate our party planning. Don’t be afraid to make changes! Your party guests may never notice these changes to the typical party snacks, but you will, and the next day when you pull on your compression top for a run you will be full of energy, not weighed down by overindulgence.