Sick of making New Year’s Resolutions that don’t stick? Maybe you’ve been going about it the wrong way. Some resolutions lose strength before the end of the month, but often it has more to do with your plan of action than the resolution itself. See if one of your New Year’s Resolutions fit into one of these categories.
Top 5 New Year’s Resolutions That Work
- Lose Weight – You and a million other people may have this one at the top of their list, but what are they doing to reach that goal? Eating less and exercising more? Unfortunately, this method alone doesn’t always show results Studies have reported that recording what you eat in a “food diary” will increase your efforts at weight loss. Recording how much you eat and exercise is a little extra step to take to make a plan to lose weight actually work.
- Get Fit – This can mean a whole change in lifestyle for some people and that can be part of the problem. If you start too big you set yourself up for failure, whether it’s in the form of injury, burnout or lack of motivation. Tip: Find something active you enjoy doing. Maybe you love walking with your favorite playlist on. Start with a 15-minute walk and your phone tucked into your SportPort Compression Sports Bra or Top for an easy and protective, hands-free stroll. Before you know it, you will be walking longer and faster without even noticing. From there you can build on your goals.
- Fall in Love – This one is a challenge, but it doesn’t stop people from jotting it down. Some say this is better suited for the fates, but let’s be honest, if you wait for the perfect man to walk through your office door you may never find Mr. Right. Set one small goal at a time. Maybe you join an online dating site or find a hiking club to sign up for. Whatever you do, have fun with it and don’t stress. The more people you meet, the better your chances of finding that guy to make your New Year’s Resolution become a reality.
- Get Out of Debt – This requires organization. First figure out how bad the situation is. There are many phone APPs you can choose from to help get all your finance issues in one place. Second make changes that count. For lots of great tips and extra doses of reality check out the blogs of The Budget Mom and Clever Girl Finance. They are sure to make you think twice before splurging on a $5 cup of coffee.
- Volunteer More – Most of us have an ingrained desire to do more for those in need. It can be hard to change this desire into an act because it requires time out of our busy lives. Here’s how to do it: Look at your week and figure out where you have time to give. Maybe you can skip yoga class on Friday night to volunteer at the local food pantry. Maybe your interests lie more with helping kids, local farms, or even assisting people with substance abuse issues. Think of where you can or would like to do the most good and look for more information and contacts online that offer assistance to those in need. They can point you in the right direction for your local area.
Implementing your goals are always better with a strategy so try these tips to succeed. Wishing all a very happy and successful new year!