Maybe it’s just me, but when yoga pants and workout leggings became fashionable sportswear years ago, I wasn’t thinking about how good my butt looked in them. My main thought was, wow, finally workout pants that aren’t bulky and don’t hold on to all the sweat I’ve shed during yoga or spin class. Instead of making a beeline for the showers, I was comfortable enough to run a few errands and pick up a coffee before heading home to wash up. What I wear is not driven by an express purpose to look good for men, so naively I was a little intrigued to realize men absolutely love seeing women in yoga pants. Asking astute workout and yoga pant observers such as my husband and friends’ boyfriends, as well as reading comments online, I’ve pulled together a little outline of why it seems men like yoga pants on women.
- Our butts look fabulous. This may seem obvious and, no, not all yoga pants are created equal, but the good, high-quality workout pants do us some favors. The second-skin supportive design lifts, shapes and contours our booty until it sits nice, sculpted and held in place for exercise and … for our men to see.
- Curves are perfectly showcased. In the same way our rear end becomes perfectly molded, so does the rest of our lower half. Thighs are streamlined, muscles show and hips are accentuated while the sleek, form-fitting pants taper down to our naked ankles, providing curvaceous eye candy for the onlooker.
- Things are close but not too close. It may be the tight weave and ultra-thin layered fabric that gets the guys’ blood pumping. Merely the idea that a very minimal barrier separates our nakedness from them gets their imaginations working.
- Suggests we are adventurous. Whether you’re wearing your yoga pants to the hair salon or are actually going to a yoga class or for a run, the outfit still suggests you’re an active gal, not afraid of a challenge and are fit enough to accomplish it. A guy sees this and thinks suddenly of hiking up a trail with a woman as perfectly dressed as yourself leading the way.
- Reflects a confident personality. It’s no secret that men tend to be attracted to assertive women and wearing fitted yoga pants reflects this personality trait. Holding your head high and graciously ignoring all the glances towards your backside as you wear what makes you feel good and comfortable is the epitome of confidence.
While I’m sure none of this will have any effect on whether you continue wearing yoga pants or not, because like me, I wear what I like, not necessarily what men like me to wear, it still provides some interesting insight into the male psyche. It was certainly enlightening to learn exactly how far their minds will wander over something as simply routine and useful to us women as wearing yoga pants.
Get Ready to Go ... Wear Stretchy Pants!
What feels better than a comfy pair of stretchy yoga pants? Not much! But will your yoga pants be warm enough to wear on a chilly winter day?
We know that finding the perfect pair of year-round, wear-anywhere yoga pants can present a challenge, especially during cold winter months. If you’re like us, you want your leggings to be lightweight but still heavy-duty. You want them thin, like a second-skin, but you don’t want them to be see-through. You want them breathable but not be able feel the wind between your legs. You want a nice form fit that helps show off the right bumps with no lumps! You want them stretchy, but with a gentle snug that will hold its shape all day long. You want them with a perfect amount of compression that won’t bag or sag or get in the way of your movement when snuggling up on the couch or while flexing poses in yoga class … all while still holding on and up to your body. Lucky for you, we have exactly what you’re looking for!
How to Find Yoga Pants Perfect for Warmth & Cold Winter Days?
The perfect blend of high quality performance fabrics and expert design techniques are the answer to this confusing dilemma. Don’t underestimate the importance of fabric or design when it comes to your shopping choices! Here’s what will keep you both cool and warm in the right yoga pants:
- Ultra-lightweight knit fabric constructed of heavy-duty and resilient fibers designed to help regulate body temperature for cooling and warming in the right directions. Thick weave with a thin feel.
- Controlled 4-way stretch sewn in the right ways and in the right places, and by design, allows for a perfect looking and feeling fit and offers a full range of motion for movement while insulating your legs and providing specific muscle support, so the body heat your active muscles generate stays in on cold days.
- Close-knit weave and use of mesh fabric allows for body heat ventilation, so you stay warm, not overheated, while you practice, plus offers a thickness that’s not see-through and still is lightweight.
- Technical fiber properties wick moisture away from the skin to the outside of the pants to evaporate, so moisture doesn’t pool against the body and you stay dry.
- Durable woven exterior fabric blocks wind and repels moisture, so cool temps and unpredictable weather can’t get through.
- Soft interiors, like microfleece, add a comfort base-layer to keep you warm and snuggly.
- Design, cut and seams, set in all in the right places, make the entire look and feel come together in all the right places on and for the body. Giving you an ultra-soft and comfy pair of warm yoga pants with a luxurious appearance to wear all around, all the time.
Our Favorite Cold-Weather Winter-Wear Warm Yoga Pants
The SportPort Polartec® Yoga Pants offer all of the features above. This particular SportPort yoga pant design is made with the use of high-tech Polartec® Power Stretch Pro fabric and designed specifically for those who go to yoga or Pilates classes all year long. This choice allows the leggings to be ultra-soft and comfy with a luxurious appearance. The design has the microfleece interior, adding a base-layer interior warmth as it draws sweat away from the skin to expel it to the exterior of the pant for evaporation. If that’s not enough, the outside of the leggings acts as a barrier against snow or rain and wicks moisture quickly away before allowing it to absorb, keeping you warm and dry, inside and out.
For our Compression Fit Yoga Pants, we incorporate Lycra® Sport fabrics combined with quick-dry Tactel® nylon in flat-lock stitching that ensures a comfortable compression fit that is smooth and soft on the skin. Although extremely lightweight, the heavy durability of the fabrics provide a warm, close-to-skin fit, that is supportive without being constrictive. Strategic mesh placement in our custom design is combined with breathable knit allowing moisture to escape in all the right places. And, we can’t leave out the truly functional, fashionably designed element of the side cargo pockets. The zippered pockets in these yoga pants allow you to hold your phone, keys, credit cards or any other personal items on you at all times. – Check out the added floral splash of color and flare seen in our designer Hibiscus Workout Yoga Pants too. – This makes these functional yoga pants great for travel, on-the-go, anytime-wear while also being great at the gym or on the yoga class floor. Add a pair of black boots and a warm sweater to the mix and you will stay warm, be comfy, ready-to-go, and look great all Winter!
One More Time & Finally
Why Wear Yoga Pants in Winter? Because… with the right fabric choices and best custom designs, they can offer beautiful form – look good – feel comfy – layer well – travel well – keep you warm – keep you cool – worn anywhere, anytime – and look amazing. Need we say more?!
As a favorite go-to outfit piece for the active woman, yoga pants can keep you warm in the Winter and get you anywhere all year long! If you’re searching for the right pair, why not check out what SportPort offers in a best choice for your yoga pants & leggings.
Finding the right time & space for your yoga practice can be a challenge at home. If you wish you were practicing more, use these tips to create the best atmosphere and routine to fit your daily life.
5 Tips to Practicing Yoga at Home
- Find a good location. Pick the room where you feel most at peace. Having an easy storage spot in the same room for your mat, towel, and accessories can help too. Having everything clean, ready and easily available is great start for success.
- Make a schedule. As much as we want our practice to be a zen, no-stress activity, in our busy lives it helps to set a schedule. Putting yoga on your weekly calendar at a day and time where there will be minimal distractions in your home helps the plan. Pick the days and make an appointment with yourself to practice.
Have a comfortable outfit. Sometimes even picking a workout outfit and changing into it can seem like more of a hassle than you’re willing to commit to. Dedicate some special clothes to yoga. You will want lightweight, comfortable, stretchy and supportive options that won't distract you from your flow. Our favorite, all-around, most comfortable yoga outfit choice starts with the SportPort Polartec Yoga Pants combined with one of the popular and truly functional SportPort Sports Bras with Pockets and adding the finish of the elegant and function found with the SportPort Long-Sleeve Wrap & Tie Crop-Top. So comfy and pretty that you’ll find you’ll never want to take these off!
- Set the mood. All it takes is having your cell phone handy to help set the mood for your practice. With so many APPs available for music & channels, you can close your eyes and let the music help set the tone and focus on your intentions.
- Know your practice. Mentally setting your body focus before you begin can go a long way. Whether you want your yoga to help with full body, arms, legs, or core, having a routine in mind can help your flow without having to stop to think about what to do next. If you are a beginner yogi, you can find some helpful exercises on YouTube or in various free phone APPs as well. We like some of the routines found with Tara Stiles yoga videos on YouTube. You can follow a routine until you are skilled enough to create your own.